Texting and Driving Statistics
Texting while driving is a growing trend, and a national epidemic, quickly becoming one of the country's top killers. Drivers assume they can handle texting while driving and remain safe, but the numbers don't lie.
Texting While Driving Causes:
- 1,600,000 accidents per year - National Safety Council
- 330,000 injuries per year - Harvard Center for Risk Analysis Study
- 11 teen deaths EVERY DAY - Ins. Institute for Hwy Safety Fatality Facts
- Nearly 25% of ALL car accidents
Texting While Driving Is:
- About 6 times more likely to cause an accident than driving intoxicated
- Th same as driving after 4 beers - National Hwy Transportation Safety Admin.
- The number one driving distraction reported by teen drivers
- Makes you 23x more likely to crash - National Hwy Transportation Safety Admin.
- Is the same as driving blind for 5 seconds at a time - VA. Tech Transportation Institure
- Takes place by 800,00 drivers at any given time across the country
- Slows your brake reaction speed by 18% - HumanFactors & Ergonomics Society
- Leads to a 400% increase with eyes off the road